Sunday 22 August 2010

Guess where I have been?

I have had just the most wonderful time at The Festival of Quilts in Birmingham. It was my first ever visit, and I loved every moment of it. I went with my friend Rebecca Ball who herself is a very talented quilt maker and maker of the curious. curious things (see lovely links list) It was her who encouraged me to go. She is a very passionate maker, her work is just divine.
At the show, I loved it all. I loved the atmosphere, the buzz of excitement, makers quilts, the shops. Everything!
I saw so many people that I know, the cross over from embroidery to quilting can be such a fine stitch line, after all it's all still sewing, just in different ways.
It was a very fantastic positive experience. I enjoyed very much being a visitor and soaking it all up, with time to look, observe and react, and I am already looking forward to going next year, I think I would really like to be a student at one of the many workshops that run there. Just a taster for an hour or so.
It's something that I have never done-make a quilt, I have never had the confidence to make one, thinking of all the mathematical calculations that one has to do first, but as Rebecca pointed out "you can just make a strip quilt, it doesn't have to be by hand you can make it on your machine, with scraps of fabric" and I felt a light go on in my head and it all made perfect sense.
So here it is my first ever little quilt, as the professionals say "I have just pieced together the top"

No comments:

Post a Comment