Saturday 29 May 2010

Silkies here and Silkies there in sunshine and rain.

I am finishing off my last piece for the Ruthin Craft Centre's exhibition SMILE http://www.ruthincraftcentre.org.uk/ selected by Mary La Trobe-Bateman, the exhibition runs from 3rd July to the 8th September 2010. it's another big piece, well, big for me 22 x 45 cm. I am really enjoying making it. The piece is called, Silkies here and Silkies there, and it is a happy piece. Light blues and pale sand colours. All the pieces I have made for the exhibition have been about the sea, and the pleasure of being near the sea or in the sea and all the delights it holds. Four big pieces and six little tiny ones, all mounted onto pale cream mount board and framed in a light plain wood frame. I think it's a lovely collection of work and I hope it is recieved well.

I miss the sea very much indeed, and think about it at least ten times a day. My favourite colour is blue, and as I've said many times before if I could I would just make pieces about the sea, but if I did would I become board and tiered of my love? and so therefore loose my longing and the desire to make pieces about the sea all the time. I can't risk that option so I mix it in with other subjects I like, like gardens and being out and about in the weather, and keep it all safe.



It's raining today and although that's a real nuisance because its a bank holiday weekend and everybody (me included) wants to be out and about in glorious sunshine, there is nothing quite like the smell of the rain onto blossom, flowers and new leaves in bright green on the trees and plants. It's a sweet smell which only is smelt in the air in the summer months, with the swifts overhead screaming high in the sky it is, quite wonderful, and the promise of more sunshine too does ease the disappointment of current rain. I remember chatting to a Greek resident in a small town a few years ago whilst on holiday in Andros and he said how he envied us living in the UK because our weather each day was so changeable, he said "here, each day its always sun, everyday sun, everyday the same, sun."

No comments:

Post a Comment